Hamilton Victoria -
Hamilton Victoria

Tarrington

The small village of Tarrington was established in 1853 by German settlers under the original name of Hochkirch. In 1918 Shire of Dundas councillors insisted the name be changed to Tarrington due to world events at the time.

Tarrington has maintained a strong and proud German heritage and the Tarrington Lutheran School is the longest, continuously serving Lutheran school in Australia. It celebrated its 150th Anniversary in 2003.

A prominent feature of the main street is the large Lutheran Church and the floodlit spire can be seen at night from many kilometres away.

Tarrinton has two local wineries, Hochkirch Wines and Tarrington Vineyard, while many Hamilton visitors and residents make the short trip to Tarrington for a meal at Cafe Catalpa.