Situated on the Henty Highway 25 kilometres south west of Hamilton, Branxholme was settled prior to 1852. A pastoral and agricultural township on the Arrandoovong Creek, it is an ideal rest area on the way to Portland.
One of the oldest homesteads left from the Western District's great pastoral age is is Arrandoovong. The rambling, double-storey bluestone mansion was built near Branxholme in 1853, with brick additions tacked on as wool prices allowed.
Decorative lacework, high ceilings, open fires and grand cornices reflect the grandeur of a time gone by. Rose gardens, 2 acres of formal gardens and farmland surround the gracious property which has been nominated for registration as being of state heritage significance.
In the squatting days the property had been 2600 hectares, but it has been whittled down to a hobby farm of less than 60 hectares. Its formal drawing and dining rooms, huge bedrooms, open fireplaces and haphazard collection of Edwardian and Victorian furniture — including a table to seat 16 and a four-poster bed — nod to past glories. Outside, ramshackle weatherboard stables lean under old European trees.
Accommodation is available as a traditional bed and breakfast or self-contained in a century old cottage.